Author Topic: 2015 Ford Mustang w/ Ecoboost Video  (Read 2121 times)

Offline gluc0se

• View Profile
  • Color: White
  • Engine: 1.6
  • Loc: Lubbock TX
  • Trim: SE
Re: 2015 Ford Mustang w/ Ecoboost Video
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 06:12:29 AM »
I could see them bumping up to a 2.3 or 2.4 I4 EB for additional power.  Based on the sound from the video I still believe this is an I4 and not a v6.  It's quite amazing the power these small engines produce turboed.   

2gFusions

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 06:12:29 AM »

Offline wilsonfusion86

• "If in doubt, flat out."
    • View Profile
  • Engine: 2.0
  • Loc: BatonRouge
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 06:23:14 AM »
But then you have this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIDbHb6_0I
They said I could be anything.

Offline gluc0se

• View Profile
  • Loc: Lubbock TX
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 06:26:25 AM »
Well, yes, but just like today, you have an entry level mustang and the different tiers of models / engines depending on your wants / budget.

Online vertmustang98gt

• "One Fusion, Two Mustangs...3x's More The Fun!"
    • View Profile
  • Loc: 614 Ohio
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 06:34:24 AM »
But then you have this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIDbHb6_0I

They are, for the foreseeable future, going to offer the v8 until they are told they can't. 

The market is there for the v8 owners, it's the entry level owners who Ford is trying to appeal too with the EB.  It's a great mix of performance, but also mpg since gas prices are now $3.00+ a gallon to stay :/.
Garrett-ATP Turbo FMIC, Livernois 3" Catted Down Pipe, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, H&R Sport Springs, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, BAFX Products - BT OBD2 Monitoring
(229hp/297tq-Livernois Tuned) & (14.4@96mph, 2.3 60')
Build Thread: http://2gfusions.com/index.php/topic,1393.0.html

Offline Stealth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Color: Blue
  • Loc: Colorado
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 07:01:21 AM »
You make some excellent points. Also, CAFE allows automakers to have very inefficient vehicles, as long as that is balanced out by efficient vehicles. It sets a fleet average mpg requirement. So, if you have some electrics and turbos with 30+ mpg, you are allowed to have some muscle cars and trucks with 15mpg since it averages out.

Offline claudermilk

• View Profile
  • Color: Red
  • Loc: SoCal
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »
To add to vert's post, I also have a Mustang--mine the '13 GT. That's the new 420hp 5.0L Coyote. I get an average of just under 20mpg, and have seen 26 on road trips. Considering what this monster is capable of, that's pretty impressive.

One of the only two shots of the '15 I've seen that really shows anything useful is the Coyote crammed between narrower frame rails, so you can be sure it's sticking around. From what I've been hearing (not all on the 'net) the Ecoboost and V6 are likely to both be offered. Remember, this would not be the first turbo 4 in a Mustang. From my perspective, I say go for it. Most of the '13 Mustangs I see around me are V6's; all those just allow Ford the volume to make the less-eco-friendly versions we enthusiasts prefer.

The one YT video I have had a chance to watch, it sure sounded like a turbo 4 in the heavily camouflaged test mule.

In the end, I have no doubt Ford won't screw up the '15 Mustang despite all the internet hair-rending & teeth-gnashing. It's just too important a model for them.

Offline fuseryder

• Cuz Fusion
    • View Profile
  • Engine: 2.5
  • Loc: Richmond
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »
Mustangs have always had variations for each price bracket and can easily fetch luxury car prices for the best models but as time progresses i think we will see that V8+ cars will cost a premium and will probably require custom ordering to get one made because dealers just don't have 30 V8 Mustangs in different colors waiting for people to buy them.
Sometimes you have to Pull-Out and hep them understand it was best for the team.

Offline Hawaiian Whore

• View Profile
  • Loc: GVille SC
  • Trim: Ti
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 05:45:04 PM »
Global warming theory = phail boat...

That's a different story though. I hate to see iconic vehicles get caught up in liberal govt bullshit. It's not right.

Offline Paul13

• View Profile
  • Loc: S. Jersey
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »
When people here mustang they think big muscle v8 loud and fun drive.  Not so much 4 banger turbo also known for being your typical "ricer" engine.. I'm sure the car would sell because it does have some pep to it.  I'd rather see the 3.5 ecoboost in replacement the current v6 and why not create an ecoboost v8? 

Dodge has some v8's that tune down to v6 on highway for better fuel economy.  I'm sure Ford has something up their sleeve.
2013 2.0 SE - Debadged, Smoked tail lights, Dipped grill and rims, H9 swap, LED city lights, Steeda CAI and Boomba BOV

*2nd place Ford Nationals in Carlisle*

Offline Stealth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Loc: Colorado
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »
A 3.5 ecoboost Mustang would be the best of both worlds. A powerful v6 and a turbo, and over 300hp. If the Mustang ends up on the lighter side of things, it could be a real beast.
Imagine a 4300lb SHO does a 5.2sec 0-60, what would a ~3500lb Mustang do with that engine?
Now if they could put the 3.5 in the Fusion, it would be amazing!

Online Gpitty

• I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Car Detailing)
    • View Profile
  • Loc: Pittsburgh
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 11:38:42 AM »
I would trade mine in a heartbeat for a 3.5 fusion, but I think its safe to say I'll be keeping my current one.
20" Lorenzos \\ Steeda Springs \\ Steeda CAI \\ SCT X4(Unleashed Tuning) \\ Lamin-x tint front & rear \\ 20% Window tint \\ 3M Vinyl Grill & Roof

Offline claudermilk

• View Profile
  • Loc: SoCal
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 09:22:29 AM »
A 3.5 ecoboost Mustang would be the best of both worlds. A powerful v6 and a turbo, and over 300hp. If the Mustang ends up on the lighter side of things, it could be a real beast.
Imagine a 4300lb SHO does a 5.2sec 0-60, what would a ~3500lb Mustang do with that engine?
Now if they could put the 3.5 in the Fusion, it would be amazing!

Jalopnik had an article yesterday where they claimed the '15 is supposed to be 400# lighter. This is probably the Cobra model, but with the chassis shrinking and more lightweight materials being used--for example aluminum in more than the hood--I would expect a couple of hundred pounds across all models.

The current Mustang V6 is at 305HP, the V8 at 420, and it looks like the Ecoboost V6 (at least in F-150 trim) is at 365HP. I keep seeing that the V8 is bumping to 450HP with direct injection and other tweaks. I imagine the V6 will get a bump as well. These power levels also jive with what I've heard for the power train options; that being the basic V6 being the entry level, the EcoBoost a mid-level  and the V8 being top. I've also heard the 5.0 is the biggest engine being offered--which again I believe after seeing the spy shots of the engine bay--that Coyote is squeezed in between much narrower frame rails. Ford had to move the fuse box, ECU, and intake around to make it all fit.

Offline stalon320

• I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
    • View Profile
  • Color: Silver
  • Loc: NY
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 09:23:21 PM »
I think a Turbo Mustang is a great idea. I would imagine it would crank out at least 275 horses.. possibly 300plus.. so performance would be impressive.. plus better MPG than V6 or V8's.. and then there's weight. The car would have a much better front to rear weight ratio.. which would deliver in spades in the handling department. These new Mustangs will not only be straight line performers, but true road carving sports cars right from the factory! Especially with the IRS coming in this new Stang. I had two 5.0L Mustangs 87GT and 89 LX in my life, so I am not one to ever say get rid of the V8 option.. but i'm 43 now.. and I want a car that I can throw into the twisties and have fun, get great MPG.. as well as have straight line passing performance.. So for me.. Sign me up for the turbo! lol

2gFusions

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 09:23:21 PM »