Author Topic: 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium: FUEL TANK -- REPLACEMENT  (Read 8158 times)

Offline Titanium_2013

• View Profile
2013 Ford Fusion Titanium: FUEL TANK -- REPLACEMENT
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
As I stated yesterday, I am receiving a brand new fuel tank from Ford.  Engineering finally came back in regards to the issue were customers/owners aren't able to fill up their fuel tank all the way.  Since the day I received my Fusion, it has only been able to get in the range of 12-15 Gallons.  15 Gallons when going 50-60 miles past 0 DTE.  I raised this question to Ford last week when experiencing an issue of my gas tank releasing air and making a roaring noise while driving down the road. 

I spoke to my service adviser today, she stated to me that the tank is being replaced because Ford came to the conclusion that there is a pump inside the gas tank that is pressurizing and making the gas tank think that it is more full than it really is, thus only allowing a certain amount of fuel to be put into the car, rather than the 16.5 gallons that it is designed to hold.  Having said that, she is confident that I will get the suggested 15 gallons in my car when filling up, after taking it to 0 DTE.  If this is true, I should see around 425-450 Miles to EMPTY on a full tank instead of the 320 miles to empty that I am seeing now.  I will keep everyone posted, all parts are in at the ford dealership and they are replacing everything now.  She is stating tomorrow is my pick up date.  We shall know more soon.  Also, they are installing a spacer on the wheel shaft assembly or something like that, its a TSB that was noted, so they are going ahead and installing it.  Something about popping/clicking noises when going from Drive/Reverse or Reverse/Drive.  I don't have the issue, but hey, I don't mind the install if it will potentially keep something from happening.

2gFusions

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium: FUEL TANK -- REPLACEMENT
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »

Offline Stealth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Color: Blue
  • Engine: 2.0
  • Loc: Colorado
  • Trim: SE
Re: 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium: FUEL TANK -- REPLACEMENT
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 12:29:09 PM »
Very interesting.
I get some popping noises, I thought was related to ABS engaging. Guess I should add it to my list for the dealer.
Thanks for the comprehensive post and the TSB info!
Maintenance: TSBs, Recalls, Manuals
http://2gfusions.com/index.php/board,13.0.html

Offline Titanium_2013

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:34:27 PM »
Just got off the phone with my technician.. My vehicle gas tank was replaced, they put the 1/2 tank of fuel back in the vehicle and off to the gas station they went.  They put 7 gallons in my car, netting 16.3 Gallons registered in the fuel tank, netting me 465 MILES TO EMPTY!!

My gas tank issues have been solved and verified by Ford.  Now on to the shitty part.. When we dropped the vehicle off at the beginning of this week because of the tank pressurizing and not filling up all the way, we noted to the adviser that the car has acted as if it didn't want to start a few times, after filling up.  They were able to replicate the issue today while at the pump, SO NO DELIVERY OF MY FUSION today!.. They are replacing a "CANISTER" and "VALVE" to fix the issue.  Ford Engineering was/is aware of the issue.  My technician has stated at this time, 100% of my fuel system in my car has been replaced.  I am very excited to have these issues fixed, but kind of hoping that this is the end of the issues.

Also, I had an appointment on Tuesday of this week already to fix a TSB issue were they were experiencing a popping noise in the front end of the car.  they were to replace some spacer so the popping didn't happen while going from reverse/forward and forward/reverse.. They ordered my part but while fixing the gas tank issues.. The part was put on another vehicle and they are now back ordered from FORD.  So i now have to wait until next week sometime to have that issue fixed.. Ugh, some what frustrated but happy its all getting fixed.

/end rant

Offline Stealth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Color: Blue
  • Loc: Colorado
  • Trim: SE
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:19:56 PM »
Well, overall its good news, you just dont have your car back. That can definitely be frustrating. Lets hope when you get it back its better than ever.

I am sure you will be happy with the fuel tank getting max range. I should probably ask about that too. I havent had an issue quite like you experienced. My issue has been more like, sometimes I can get it full, other times it shuts off at ~1 gal remaining. I know this because when full I can get 4 gal from a 1/4 tank, but if it shorts me a gallon, more like 3+.
Maintenance: TSBs, Recalls, Manuals
http://2gfusions.com/index.php/board,13.0.html

Offline HenryVIII

• AWD Hotness!
    • View Profile
  • Color: White
  • Loc: Maryland
  • Trim: Ti
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 09:07:45 AM »
Is yours an AWD model? I got to 10 miles DTE and managed to fill 14.65 gallons in my 17.5 gallon tank. I do believe the AWD tanks are split tanks however.
2013 Fusion Titanium White Platinum AWD - All Options

Offline txtenor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:21:24 AM »
The FWD 16.5 gallon tanks are also split tanks according to the tech at my dealership.

Thanks for posting on this. With your replacement, I hope to get some activity on my issue as well when I go in for my next oil change and the headliner replacement.

Offline Titanium_2013

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
I am FWD, 2.0L Titanium.   After my tank, canister, valve and all other parts of the fuel system were replaced yesterday.. They put the fuel back in the tank, it yielded a 1/2 tank.  They put 7 gallons in the car, totaling 16.3 Gallons.  The vehicle DTE stated 465.. When the tech told me this over the phone, I about fell out.  It was Christmas in my ear.  I have never seen my car over 320 DTE since the day I bought it.

The technician stated all of the work he did was uploaded into OASIS under the other complaints so any technician should be able to find what he did to my car.  All that he did, definitely fixed my issue. 

Failure to Start after fillup -- FIXED
Tank pressurizing and roaring while driving -- FIXED
Fuel tank filling issue -- FIXED

Entirely new fuel system -- YES, LOL.

Offline txtenor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »
Just got off the phone with my dealer and there is definitely a service bulletin out for the Tank Replacement. They are ordering the parts now along with the parts for my headliner and will call me once the parts are in. Hopefully I'll get her in to them next week and we'll stop having to take forever to fill her up.

That said, the fuel pump recall will probably not be completed at the same time. Those parts are still on back-order it seems.

Offline 1fungi

• View Profile
  • Color: Silver
  • Loc: S.E. Michi
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:32:12 PM »
I am FWD, 2.0L Titanium.   After my tank, canister, valve and all other parts of the fuel system were replaced yesterday.. They put the fuel back in the tank, it yielded a 1/2 tank.  They put 7 gallons in the car, totaling 16.3 Gallons.  The vehicle DTE stated 465.. When the tech told me this over the phone, I about fell out.  It was Christmas in my ear.  I have never seen my car over 320 DTE since the day I bought it.

The technician stated all of the work he did was uploaded into OASIS under the other complaints so any technician should be able to find what he did to my car.  All that he did, definitely fixed my issue. 

Failure to Start after fillup -- FIXED
Tank pressurizing and roaring while driving -- FIXED
Fuel tank filling issue -- FIXED

Entirely new fuel system -- YES, LOL.

What was your MPG before this service?  Please let us know if you experience any significant change in fuel mileage.

Offline Titanium_2013

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »
Before the service, I averaged right at 23.5 MPG at all times.. I live in Orlando Florida and do 35 Miles one way, totaling probably about 75 miles a day on my Fusion.  We are mostly highway with some city but in Orlando, Highway is 80% of the time, bumper to bumper.. After I fill up, I can reset my gauges at hit 32mpg easily, but as soon as I start stopping and getting off/on ramps, it dwindles very fast... After about 3 days of driving she stays right at 23.5mpg.. I am hoping it goes up, I didn't get to pick the car up today.. The Canister part, didn't arrive so they are stating Monday is my new pick up date.. Its been a week now that my car has been in the shop.. They rented me for free a 2012 SEL Fusion with 33k miles.. Damn thing literally smells, looks, feels and drives like it fell off the side of a Mountain.. I can't even believe people drive that yr model.. I drove it the 5 miles home from the dealer, parked it in my Garage and told the wife, we will be driving our Edge until the Fusion is fixed.  My Edge is sitting on Aftermarket 22's, lowered with intake, exhaust and tune.. She is pretty fun to drive.  Mostly my weekend driver, but hey.. She'll do in the meantime!

Offline Poirot1959

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 07:51:51 AM »
Hi I am new to this forum, so this will be my first reply

About the fuel tank, I had the same problem that is well commented on all fusion forum, but waited for my first maintenance visit for them to look at it. 

So here is the very good news

Last tuesday (june 6th) I went at the dealer since it was that time at 8000km (I live in Canada).  And the dealer told me there was a recall for that particular problem.  Ford is well aware of this problem.  The hic is that replacement part for all the cars will only be available on the third quater of this year.  In case of emergency they will replace it, but in that case they pull one from the manufacturing plant.

You can google recall ford fusion 2013 and will get all relevant info. 

So all fusion owner should get a letter from Ford in a very near futur.
Ford Fusion Ti 2013 Ginger Ale

Offline txtenor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum, so this will be my first reply

About the fuel tank, I had the same problem that is well commented on all fusion forum, but waited for my first maintenance visit for them to look at it. 

So here is the very good news

Last tuesday (june 6th) I went at the dealer since it was that time at 8000km (I live in Canada).  And the dealer told me there was a recall for that particular problem.  Ford is well aware of this problem.  The hic is that replacement part for all the cars will only be available on the third quater of this year.  In case of emergency they will replace it, but in that case they pull one from the manufacturing plant.

You can google recall ford fusion 2013 and will get all relevant info. 

So all fusion owner should get a letter from Ford in a very near futur.

Poirot - I believe that you are confusing a recent Safety Recall notice which replaces potentially leaking fuel pumps

13S04 - Title: FUEL DELIVERY MODULE REPLACEMENT http://allstatetrucks.com/images/Recalls/R13S04%2013%20EXPL%20TAURUS%20MKS%20FLEX%20MKT%20FUSION%20MKZ%20POLICE%20INTERCEPTOR%20053013.pdf

with the Technical Service Bulletin which replaces the actual gas tank and updates the instrument cluster software (on some vehicles) 

TSB 13-6-3 - REDUCED FUEL TANK CAPACITY - EMPTY REFILL 38 TO 45 LITERS (10 TO 12 GALLONS)- BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/2/2013 http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3575/tsb13-06-03.htm

Some of us need to get both things done, and one will not eliminate the need for the other as far as I understand it.

All of this is indeed very good news since some of us have been dealing with the tank filling issue for months and it is always good to get a safety recall published and installed as soon as possible.

Offline Poirot1959

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 06:26:46 AM »
Poirot - I believe that you are confusing a recent Safety Recall notice which replaces potentially leaking fuel pumps

13S04 - Title: FUEL DELIVERY MODULE REPLACEMENT http://allstatetrucks.com/images/Recalls/R13S04%2013%20EXPL%20TAURUS%20MKS%20FLEX%20MKT%20FUSION%20MKZ%20POLICE%20INTERCEPTOR%20053013.pdf

with the Technical Service Bulletin which replaces the actual gas tank and updates the instrument cluster software (on some vehicles) 

TSB 13-6-3 - REDUCED FUEL TANK CAPACITY - EMPTY REFILL 38 TO 45 LITERS (10 TO 12 GALLONS)- BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/2/2013 http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3575/tsb13-06-03.htm

Some of us need to get both things done, and one will not eliminate the need for the other as far as I understand it.

All of this is indeed very good news since some of us have been dealing with the tank filling issue for months and it is always good to get a safety recall published and installed as soon as possible.

Thanks for the clarification.  I guess I will have to talk with the dealer again sig.  But at least this time I have the right bulletin so I am not going empty hand
Ford Fusion Ti 2013 Ginger Ale

Offline HenryVIII

• AWD Hotness!
    • View Profile
  • Color: White
  • Loc: Maryland
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
Keep us posted on your findings. Right now I'm getting about 14 gallons per fillup on an AWD (17.5 gallons) tank.
2013 Fusion Titanium White Platinum AWD - All Options

Offline Titanium_2013

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 06:16:23 AM »
I haven't taken the tank all the way to empty yet but I can speak on a few problems that I am still noticing.. Yesterday, we were at a 1/2 tank.. I filled the car up for my wife so that way she would have a full tank during the week going to/from work.. When I picked the car up, it had 428 miles DTE but the dealership had been test driving it so I was sure the mileage would of been higher..  When I started filling the vehicle up yesterday at a gas station I always use.. Every 2 seconds the damn pump would shut off, without fail.  I tried moving in and out the gas nozzle but it didn't help.  I filled the vehicle up as far as it would go just before spewing gas.. Got in the car cranked up, 401 miles DTE.. I drove the car for 9 miles actually yesterday around town, very carefully not getting on it at all.. I got in to leave my parents yesterday and the car read 346 DTE.. I was like damn, that fast huh, 9 miles really equals 60 something miles... So i said you know what, lets pull into the gas station and try and fill her up and see what she does.. I put 2.7Gallons in the damn car, even though I had only driven 9 miles on it since filling up.  I got back in the car after putting in 2.7 gallons, the car read 381, at that point I said oh well, I give up, this car is a piece of fucking shit and the fuel issue will never be solved..

I am getting more fuel in the vehicle since the fix at the dealership, but the car seems to eat a 1/4 tank of gas just by cranking up, 1/2 just by touching the gas and the other 1/4 tank just by sitting in the garage.. If this continues much longer, I will trade this piece of shit in and get something different.

2gFusions

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 06:16:23 AM »